Acceptable Use Policy
Thank you for reading Link-Up ISP`s Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). By accessing this website, or by contracting with us for service, you agree, without limitation or qualification, to be bound by this policy and the terms and conditions it contains, as well as any other additional terms, conditions, rules or policies which are displayed to you in connection with this service/website.
The purpose of this AUP is to comply with the relevant laws of the Republic; to specify to customers and users of our service/website what activities and online behaviour are considered an unacceptable use of the service/website; to protect the integrity of our network and to specify the consequences that may flow from undertaking such prohibited activities.
This document contains a number of legal obligations which you are presumed to be familiar with. As such, we encourage you to read this document thoroughly and direct any queries to our customer services/legal department at 034 989 8444.
Link-Up ISP respects the rights of our customers and users of our services to freedom of speech and expression; access to information; privacy; human dignity; religion, belief and opinion in accordance with our constitution. We undertake not to interfere with any of those rights unless required to do so by law; unless those rights are exercised for unlawful purposes; or unless the exercise of those rights threatens to cause harm to another person or affect the integrity of our network.
Link-Up ISP`s services/website may only be used for lawful purposes and activities. We prohibit any use of our website/network including the transmission, storage and distribution of any material or content using our network that violates any law or regulation of the Republic.
1. Any violation of local and international laws prohibiting child pornography; obscenity; discrimination (including racial, gender or religious slurs) and hate speech; or speech designed to incite violence or hatred, or threats to cause bodily harm.
2. Any activity designed to defame, abuse, stalk, harass or physically threaten any individual in the Republic or beyond its borders; including any attempt to link to, post, transmit or otherwise distribute any inappropriate or defamatory material.
3. Any violation of Intellectual Property laws including materials protected by local and international copyright, trademarks and trade secrets. Moreover Link-Up ISP cannot be held liable if you make any unlawful use of any multimedia content accessed through the search facility provided by Link-Up ISP`s network, or otherwise available through access to our network, whether for commercial or noncommercial purposes.
4. Any violation of the individual's right to privacy, including any effort to collect personal data of third parties without their consent.
5. Any fraudulent activity whatsoever, including dubious financial practices, such as pyramid schemes; the impersonation of another subscriber without their consent; or any attempt to enter into a transaction with Link-Up ISP on behalf of another subscriber without their consent.
6. Any violation of the exchange control laws of the Republic.
7. Any activity that results in the sale, transmission or distribution of pirated or illegal software.
8. Failing to respond to a request by a recipient of unsolicited mail to be removed from any mailing or direct marketing list and continuing to send unsolicited mail following such a request for removal. Where any user resides outside of the Republic, permanently or temporarily, such user will be subject to the laws of the country in which s/he is currently resident and which apply. On presentation of a legal order to do so, or under obligation through an order for mutual foreign legal assistance, Link-Up ISP will assist foreign law enforcement agencies (LEA) in the investigation and prosecution of a crime committed using Link-Up ISP`s resources, including the provisioning of all personal identifiable data.
The following sections outline activities that are considered an unacceptable use of Company's services/network/website and also detail the guidelines for acceptable use of certain facilities/services, as the case may be.
Threats to Network Security
Any activity which threatens the functioning, security and/or integrity of Link-Up ISP`s network is unacceptable.
1. Any efforts to attempt to gain unlawful and unauthorised access to the network or circumvent any of the security measures established by Link-Up ISP for this goal;
2. Any effort to use Link-Up ISP`s equipment to circumvent the user authentication or security of any host, network or account ("cracking" or "hacking");
3. Forging of any TCP-IP packet header (spoofing) or any part of the header information in an email or a newsgroup posting;
4. Any effort to breach or attempt to breach the security of another user or attempt to gain access to any other person's computer, software, or data without the knowledge and consent of such person;
5. Any activity which threatens to disrupt the service offered by Link-Up ISP through "denial of service attacks", flooding of a network, or overloading a service or any unauthorised probes ("scanning" or "nuking") of others' networks;
6. Any activity which in any way threatens the security of the network by knowingly posting, transmitting, linking to or otherwise distributing any information or software which contains a virus; Trojan horse; worm, lock, mail bomb, cancelbot or other harmful, destructive or disruptive component.
7. Any unauthorised monitoring of data or traffic on the network without Link-Up ISP`s explicit, written consent.
8. Any unsolicited mass mailing activity including direct marketing; spam and chain letters for commercial or other purposes, without the consent of the recipients of those mails.
Public Space and Third Party Content and sites
In reading this AUP or in signing a service contract with Link-Up ISP, you acknowledge that Link-Up ISP has no power to control the content of the information passing over the Internet and its applications, including e-mail; chatrooms; news groups; or other similar fora, and that Link-Up ISP cannot be held responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any of the abovementioned content, in any way for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of, or in connection with your use of, or reliance on, any such content.
Our services also offer access to numerous third party webpages. You acknowledge that we exercise absolutely no control over such third party content, or sites and in such cases, our network is merely a conduit or means of access and transmission. This includes, but is not limited to, third party content contained on or accessible through the Link-Up ISP network websites and web pages or sites displayed as search results or contained within a directory of links on the Link-Up ISP network. It remains your responsibility to review and evaluate any such content, and that any and all risk associated with the use of, or reliance on, such content rests with you.
Access to public Internet spaces, such as bulletin boards, Usenet groups, chat rooms and moderated forums is entirely voluntary and at your own risk.
Link-Up ISP employees do not moderate any of these services, or your communications, transmissions or use of these services. We do not undertake any responsibility for any content contained therein, or for any breaches of your right to privacy that you may experience as a result of accessing such spaces.
The customer is responsible for determining and familiarizing himself or herself with the written policies of a given newsgroup before posting to it.
The customer must comply with these guidelines at all times which can be obtained from other users of the newsgroup upon request, or from the group's administrators/moderators.
The following are prohibited practices with regard to Usenet newsgroups and Link-Up ISP reserves the right to delete and/or cancel posts which violate the following conditions:
Excessive cross-posting of the same article to multiple newsgroups.
Posting of irrelevant or off-topic material to newsgroups (also known as USENET spam).
3. Posting binaries to a non-binary newsgroup.
4. Posting adverts, solicitations, or any other commercial messages unless the guidelines of the newsgroup in question explicitly permit them.
Link-Up ISP does not monitor nor control the content that is available or unavailable via newsgroup and/or usenet services. The services offered by Link-Up ISP in respect to usenet services is merely a convenience to Link-Up ISP customers to make the use of the service more convenient. Link-Up ISP accepts no liability and has no control over the content that may or may not be available, including, but not limited to, pornography, illegally obtained movies, applications and music.
Unsolicited, Spam and Junk mail
Spam and unsolicited bulk mail are highly problematic practices. They affect the use and enjoyment of services by others and often compromise network security. Link-Up ISP will take swift and firm action against any user engaging in any of the following unacceptable practices:
1. Sending unsolicited bulk mail for marketing or any other purposes (political, religious or commercial) to people who have not consented to receiving such mail;
2. Operating or maintaining mailing lists without the express permission of all recipients listed;
3. Failing to promptly remove from lists invalid or undeliverable addresses or addresses of unwilling recipients;
4. Using Link-Up ISP`s service to collect responses from unsolicited e-mail sent from accounts on other Internet hosts or e-mail services, that violate this AUP or the AUP of any other Internet service provider;
5. Including Link-Up ISP`s name in the header or by listing an IP address that belongs to Link-Up ISP in any unsolicited email sent through Link-Up ISP`s network or not;
Webmail and other web based email services made available by Link-Up ISP are provided on an "as is" basis without representations, warranties or conditions of any kind, and the customer acknowledges and agrees that Link-Up ISP shall have no responsibility for, or liability in respect of, any aspect of the Webmail services, including without limitation for any lost or damaged data or any acts or omissions of Link-Up ISP. As webmail storage space is limited, some Webmail messages may not be processed due to space constraints or message limitations.
Webmail is provided to individuals and for personal use only. Any unauthorised commercial use of the Webmail service, or resale of the Webmail service is expressly prohibited.
It is our goal to provide the best possible internet experience for all of our customers using Uncapped services and as such we reserve the right to manage uncapped users in order to achieve optimal performance for all clients across our network. We may contact you from time to time to make changes in order to receive the best possible internet experience.
Link-Up ISP Uncapped / Uncapped ADSL
The Link-Up ISP Protocol Manager is used to provide all home uncapped users on our network with the best possible internet experience. During peak network times, we give priority to real time services (browsing, email, streaming etc), high bandwidth services such as NNTP, Peer-to-Peer and Torrents (and similar) will receive less priority. In the evenings when there is less demand on the network, high bandwidth services will receive increased priority which will result in increased throughput speeds compared to peak network times. Any user that is found attempting to bypass or circumvent the Link-Up ISP Protocol Manager will be suspended and could have their service cancelled.
This is an uncapped account that is prioritised for Business Users where high priority is required for typical business protocols. These business protocols such as VOIP, Terminal Services, Web Browsing and Email are unshaped. Link-Up ISP reserves the right, to at its discretion manage non typical business protocols such as NNTP, Peer-to-Peer, Https Downloading and Torrents.
All uncapped services only allow 1 concurrent connection per account.
Protection of Minors
Link-Up ISP prohibits customers from using Link-Up ISP`s service to harm or attempt to harm a minor, including, but not limited to, by hosting, possessing, disseminating, distributing or transmitting material that is unlawful, including child pornography.
Privacy and Confidentiality.
Protection of Minors
A collection of links dedicated to the safety of your children while on the internet:
CyberAngels - World's oldest and largest Internet safety organisation.
GetNetWise - Educating parents and children about how to use the Internet safely.
KidShield - Tools and information to create a safety net for your children online.
ProtectKids - Protecting children in cyberspace.
SafeKids - Making your family's online experience fun and productive.
Privacy and Confidentiality
Customers are responsible for any misuse of Company's services that occurs through the customer's account. It is the customer's responsibility to ensure that unauthorised persons do not gain access to or misuse Link-Up ISP`s service.
Link-Up ISP urges customers not to reply to unsolicited mail or "spam", not to click on any suggested links provided in the unsolicited mail. Doing so remains the sole responsibility of the customer and Link-Up ISP cannot be held liable for the Customer being placed on any bulk mailing lists as a result.
Where the customer has authorised a minor to use any of the Link-Up ISP`s services or access its websites, you accept that as the parent/legal guardian of that minor, you are fully responsible for: the online conduct of such minor; controlling the minor's access to and use of any services or websites; and the consequences of any misuse by the minor, including but not limited to transactions entered into by the minor using such access.
Link-Up ISP cannot be held liable for any business dealings you have with any third parties on the Internet, including any vendors, or advertisers found on, or through, the Link-Up ISP network. Further, Link-Up ISP assumes no responsibility whatsoever for any charges you or any user of your account incurs when making purchases or other transactions in this manner. Further, the responsibility for ensuring compliance with all applicable customs and exchange control laws in connection with any such transactions shall be the customer's.
Complaints and procedures
It is the customer's responsibility to familiarise himself or herself with the procedure set out below and report any cases of violation of this AUP to Link-up Wireless by sending an email to email@example.com.
In order for Link-Up ISP to thoroughly investigate the complaint and take appropriate action, all complaints must be in writing and should be sent to and contain as much information as possible, including, but not limited to:
the origin of abuse or offence, including the website, full mail headers, relevant logfile extracts etc;
any contact details for the source of the complaint;
A brief explanation why the incident is considered to be an offence.
Link-Up ISP discourages anonymous complaints being made via this service, and urges complainants to supply their name and contact details to us. Such information will not be released, except where required by law enforcement. Anonymous complaints will however be acted upon as long as sufficient detail as outlined above is supplied.
Action following breach of the AUP
Upon receipt of a complaint, or having become aware of an incident, Link-Up ISP may take any of the following steps:
In the case of a network, inform the user's network administrator of the incident and request the network administrator or network owner to deal address the incident in terms of this AUP and the ISPA Code of Conduct;
In severe cases suspend access of the user's entire network until abuse can be prevented by appropriate means;
In the case of individual users, warn the user; suspend the user's account and/or revoke or cancel the user's network access privileges completely;
In all cases, charge the offending parties for administrative costs as well as for machine and human time lost due to the incident;
Assist other networks or website administrators in investigating credible suspicions of any activity listed in this AUP;
Institute civil or criminal proceedings;
Share information concerning the incident with other Internet access providers, or publish the information, and/or make available the users' details to law enforcement agencies
Reservation and Non Waiver of Rights
Link-Up ISP reserves the right to amend or alter this policy at any time, and without notice to you.
Link-Up ISP reserves the right to take action against any individuals, companies or organizations that violate any of the prohibited activities set out herein, or engage in any illegal or unlawful activity while accessing our services, to the fullest extent of the law.
Link-Up ISP reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to act against other types of abuse not listed in this document and to investigate or prevent illegal activities being committed over our network.
Link-Up ISP reserves the right to monitor user and network traffic for site security purposes and prevent any unauthorised attempts to tamper with our site or cause damage to our property.
Link-Up ISP reserves the right to suspend, revoke or cancel Link-Up ISP`s services to the customer/user if the safety and integrity of Link-Up ISP`s resources are placed at risk in continuing to provide service to the subscriber/user.
Link-Up ISP reserves the right to remove any information or materials in whole or in part, that, in Link-Up ISP`s sole discretion, is deemed to be offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable.
Link-Up ISP does not undertake to guarantee the security of any data passing through its networks. Although Link-Up ISP will provide a "best effort" service, including regular updates on computer viruses and other threats to security of data, it is the responsibility of the communicating parties to safeguard their data, and Link-Up ISP cannot be held liable for any loss or damage arising as result of the failure to do so.
Link-Up ISP does not waive its right to enforcement of this AUP at any time, or prejudice its right to take subsequent action, should Link-Up ISP fail, neglect or elect not to enforce a breach of the AUP at any time.